The Victorian Pharmacy was the place where ordinary people could access health care. Ruth Goodman, fresh off the Victorian farm will be practicing what she learned from her time on the farm. Nick Barber, a professor of pharmacy will be the head pharmacists. Tom Quick is a Ph.D. student in pharmacy and will be the apprentice for the pharmacy.
The Barker Goodman Pharmacy hosts their grand opening and their first patient is a nurse. The pharmacy will dispense safer Victorian versions of the medicines. The nurse comes in for a cough remedy, however a lot of the Victorian Cough syrups had chloroform, morphine and cannabis. Ruth sources local plants to create a safer version of a cough syrups.
While Ruth works in the woods, Tom and Nick work on opening up the pharmacy laboratory. It was where they would do their experiments and distill their medicines.
Nick works on making oil of earthworm, a remedy for bruises. Tom sets up the laboratory so they can distill their medicine.
To use in the classroom, just highlight copy and paste into a Word or Google Document and then format the way you want to. It should fit onto one page after formatting with enough space for a student to fill in their answers.
You can access the YouTube video here.
Victorian Pharmacy Episode 1 Questions
1. Who were the three historians who participated in the series?
2. Where did Ruth come from to participate in the project?
3. Where does Nick Barber teach?
4. Who used doctors?
5. Who was the pharmacy apprentice?
6. Who could trade as a pharmacist?
7. What was the hub of a town?
8. What was the occupation of the first patient?
9. What type of knowledge did the Victorian Knowledge need?
10. What did the pharmacy need to keep a stock of?
Victorian Pharmacy Episode 1 Answers
1. Who were the three historians who participated in the series? - Ruth Goodman, Nick Barber, Tom Quick
2. Where did Ruth come from to participate in the project? - Victorian Farm
3. Where does Nick Barber teach? - University of London School of Pharmacy
4. Who used doctors? - Rich people
5. Who was the pharmacy apprentice? - Tom Quick
6. Who could trade as a pharmacist? - Anyone
7. What was the hub of a town? - Pharmacy
8. What was the occupation of the first patient? - Nurse
9. What type of knowledge did the Victorian Knowledge need? - Knowledge of the natural world
10. What did the pharmacy need to keep a stock of? - plants
I'm a librarian with an active imagination who likes to create. Genealogist and Researcher.
My Teachers Pay Teachers Store! Worksheets available as a Word Document.
I am also on Lulu! If you're interested in genealogy I have two books available!
HistoryDocTube will not collect any personal information and will not sell any personal information to a third party. We will not request any personal information.
The purpose of this blog is to share information on what can be used in a classroom, private school or home school setting as well as serve as a portfolio of my personal and professional work.